Systems and equipment are becoming more complex, no matter your engineering discipline or sector. When an asset fails, there are three key reasons: physical, human or systemic causes. Root cause analysis (RCA) asks ‘why?’ - in a number of different ways, to identify the root cause of the failure. This helps engineers to prevent future failures, keep people safe and implement efficient quality control. From manufacturing to energy, construction and even robotics, RCA is applicable across disciplines.
In this course, you’ll learn the techniques of Root Cause Analysis, from the basic ‘Five Whys’ approach to the more complex logic tree analysis. You’ll leave with an understanding of:
- how real-world RCA situations have played out
- when each approach is ideal
- the data you’ll need to gather and analyse
- how to present and apply your results.
Root Cause Analysis is an important tool in any engineer’s toolkit, to add value to a team and harness your logical thinking to save time, money or even lives.
EA members get 15% off on selected workshops and training. Not a member? Sign up now
*1% credit card surcharge applies.
11 May - 12 May
This workshop will run on the following dates:
11 – 12 May 2023, 9:30am – 1:30pm AEST
Registrations close three business days before the course.
We can customise this course for groups of six or more.
You choose the time, place, duration and format.
Find out how we can help you and your team by clicking on the button below to request a quote or calling us directly on +61 3 9321 1700.
- Apply Root Cause Analysis to real-life failure situations
- Select and analyse suitable data
- Learn key Root Cause Analysis methods, including:
- 5 Whys
- Cause Mapping
- Fishbone analysis
- Logic Tree analysis
- Understand the benefits of each RCA method
- Work as part of a team to execute RCA
Is this course for you?
This course is relevant to anyone involved in asset management, production and operations.
- Reliability engineers
- Process engineers
- Maintenance engineers
- Facility engineers
- Transport and infrastructure engineers
- Maintenance supervisors
- Asset managers
- Production line supervisors and managers
- HSEQ personnel and managers
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Topics we'll cover
Root Cause Analysis
- What is Root Cause Analysis?
- What problems does RCA solve?
- Sporadic events vs. chronic events
- Applications of RCA
Data, data & more data
- Appropriate data for RCA
- The importance of data verification
RCA is a team effort
RCA techniques and when they should be used
- 5 Whys - Basic methodology
- Cause Analysis
- Fish Bone Analysis
- Logic Tree Analysis
What to do after you've done RCA
- Presenting and applying your results
Alastair’s 35 years’ experience in asset management, maintenance, integrity, risk and reliability management means his expertise is in high demand. In an increasingly complex world, knowing how to cut through ‘big data’ and complex processes in order to get to root causes is becoming a necessary skill.
Drawing on his knowledge of:
- asset maintenance and integrity management systems
- safety case documents for offshore oil and gas installations
- specification and implementation of computerised maintenance management systems
Alastair guides participants to a clearer understanding of relevant Root Cause Analysis techniques, and how to apply and use the resulting data effectively.