You develop leadership skills throughout your career. As a technical expert, you may advance to a management position very quickly. This means you may not have the time or the opportunities to acquire all the leadership skills you need.
In this one-day course, you’ll explore how being a leader differs from being a manager, and learn how to apply practical leadership techniques in day-to-day work settings.
By the end of this interactive course, you’ll have the tools you need to become a purposeful leader, rather than a 'busy' manager. You will be on your way to becoming a confident, effective leader who inspires and motivates.
- Understand your own leadership style and how to adapt it to influence your team
- Communicate expectations clearly and provide useful feedback with confidence
- Enhance your team’s performance through coaching and mentoring
- Deal proactively with underperformance
- Reduce your personal stress by becoming a more effective leader
- Provide a clear and inspiring vision that motivates your team
- Discuss how to best address your leadership challenges
- Increase your employment opportunities, both within your organisation and elsewhere
Is this course for you?
This course is for managers of all levels of experience, including senior managers who have ‘learned on the job’ without the opportunity to develop essential leadership skills. It is also an essential course for a manager transitioning into a higher leadership position or aiming for a leadership promotion.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Topics we'll cover
- Leadership styles - your hardwired preferences and how to adapt them to achieve results
- How to spend your time effectively as a leader – learn how to plan, how to lead people and how to respond to crises, beyond defaulting to policy
- Using a coaching style with your team – identify coaching role models, understand your own coaching style, and learn how to coach your team to self-manage
- Techniques to proactively deal with difficult behaviours and unmet performance goals – how to set clear expectations, when to start performance counselling and how to change they way you deal with excuses
- Practical approaches to leading change – making a case for change, setting a vision, achieving the desired outcome by keeping change on track
Take this course to build skills and knowledge in the following Engineers Australia Chartered status competencies*:
5. Engage with the relevant community & stakeholders
10. Taking Action
*Completing this course does not automatically guarantee you a competency. However, you will gain the base knowledge you need to develop these specific Chartered competencies.
Barry is a former Senior Partner at KPMG and now runs his own leadership coaching organisation, Sustainable Change. He delivers leadership skills workshops, performance coaching and presentation skills development programs. He has provided successful workshops for Engineering Education Australia for the past 10 years.
Barry has coached more than 550 leaders and executives across the world. He regularly coaches leaders who need to enhance their boardroom and leadership team presence.
As an alumnus of The Actors Conservatory, Barry has developed a unique coaching methodology that brings together business knowledge, coaching, acting, performance, and personality-type insights.
Barry was entertaining and very knowledgeable, I really enjoyed the one-day course. The leadership time management discussion and tool was very valuable.
Barry was very engaging during the course which only increased my ability to pick up learning outcomes and tips from the session.
The course had an interactive approach and a positive environment to facilitate discussion where no idea was a bad one.